NOV #12 Celebrating Africa on Film: Film Africa 2013

FILM AFRICA NOV 1 - 12, 2013 VARIOUS VENUES
http://www.filmafrica.org.uk/index.php


It's back! And so much to see, but here are my faves:
Of Good Report
Soo excited I get another chance to see this one!
Mired in controversy and initially banned in the Durban Film Fest, a 'love' story unfolds and the Director will join a Q&A at the end.






Mother of George
I am a big fan of stories of 'immigrant' stories and movies set in Brooklyn and this one explores the forces of home and abroad.








In the Shadow of the Sun
This is my 'must see' pick.
I saw it earlier in the year and was shocked at the plight of albinos living in Tanzania. 
Josephat really is one in a million and he joins the Q&A at the end!
See my review here:
http://dual-citizen.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/movie-mad-m-r-c-h.html#comment-form

1 comment:

  1. Of Good Report:
    Much much better than I anticipated it to be! The synopsis really does not do it justice!
    A story about and literally told through the eyes of an 'ordinary' teacher, the very vivid and often shocking imagery explores themes of love, family, violence and perhaps the boundaries of sanity.
    Notably an introvert who does not say much, Sithole's character is cleverly developed in the dialogue of those around him. The use of music not merely as a soundtrack but to further build the story is pretty neat too, and neither does the black and white picture take away from the film in any way.
    The title is also very fitting, as it packages up the director's exploratory, non-preaching style.
    The director Jamil Qubeka joined a very interesting Q&A at the end, and I have no doubt become his latest fan!
    I cannot wait to see what he brings out next!
    I do hope this is screened more widely and if it is, catch it if you can!

    ReplyDelete